Odisha govt constructs 10,000 rainwater harvesting structures

To facilitate water conservation and recharge groundwater, the Odisha government has constructed more than 10,000 rainwater harvesting structures in 114 towns across the state. These RWH structures were constructed as part of the ‘Catch the Rain: Where it Falls and When it Falls’, a state-wide campaign, which was launched on 15 April.

More than 15,000 sites across all urban local bodies were selected for RWHS. As of now, around 10,000 rainwater harvesting structures are complete and the rest will be ready by July. Mukhyamantri Karma Tatpara Abhiyan Yojana (MUKTA), an urban wage employment scheme for migrant laborers is spearheading the campaign.

Water-rich state

Though a water surplus state with an average annual rainfall ranging between 1200 mm and 1800 mm, the rain's spatial distribution is uneven and erratic. And a high amount of surface runoff has led to water scarcity in many urban areas. The State receives about 76% of rainfall between the period of mid-June and mid-September and receives the remaining 24% of the rainfall throughout the year.

The State has both the coastal regions and high land. These newly constructed rainwater harvesting structures are the best possible option to tap the runoff rainwater.

The RWHS are constructed in parks, playgrounds, open spaces, and vacant lands inside the institutions.

Water facts

An average household uses about 80 - 100 gallons of water a day, says a study. With vanishing water resources, clean water has become a precious resource. And harvesting rainwater is the best way to conserve water. AquaStar rainwater harvesting system is the leader in this industry. Unlike other players in the market, it is the only company that manufactures products exclusively for harvesting rainwater.